Strawberry Cheesecake Bites

Sunday, July 18, 2010

I bought a bunch of strawberries for a great price awhile back, and then I realized. I'm single, and I was actually going to be responsible for eating all these strawberries, and I didn't feel like eating 3 cartons of strawberries....sans something fun to accompany them.
I began the hunt for ways to make fruit unhealthy, a hobby of mine, and I stumbled across this idea on Martha Stewart. I had some left over cream cheese from some icing I made the week before, and I always have vanilla and powdered sugar, I'm pretty sure it runs through my veins, but I haven't cut myself recently to test the theory.
Martha (or rather, her crew of people in the kitchen) left the 'tops' off her strawberries, piped in the filling, and added some slivered almonds to the top. I put hats on my strawberry, because I felt like it, and I didn't feel like getting out tips for piping, and this seemed like a good way to mask that laziness and slopping filling job. I almost didn't post this b/c it was a little on the (too) cream cheesy side the first time, but I made some adjustments, and I do like it now. Really, it has a lot of potential, and I think it would be fun to serve as an appetizer at a party or shower.
Here's the lazy version of the recipe I pulled off Martha's site.
1.Wash your strawberries. (Captain Obvious is writing this post).
2. Cut the tip off the bottom of your strawberry so it can 'stand' on the plate.
3. Slice the top of the strawberry (set aside if you want to accessorize your strawberry with a hat later).
4. Use a melon baller to scoop out the center of 12 strawberries.

5. Beat 6 oz of cream cheese for 2 minutes, and then add 1/2 t. vanilla extract, and 1 1/2 T. powdered sugar (I'd add a little more flavor next time...maybe some almond flavor? More powdered sugar...see notes below...)?
6. Scoop filling into strawberries (or pipe it in if you are an overachiever).
*Alternatives I like-I mixed in some mini chocolate chips to the last few after sampling the first one and remembered I'm not a huge fan of 'just' cream cheese filled 'stuff.'

You can add almonds, like Martha. Or I think this might be really yummy with balls of cheese cake (I've taken pre-made cheesecake from Sam's before and melon balled it up and dipped in in chocolate etc, it would be fun to add it to these too). I might drizzle these strawberries with a little chocolate too next time, everything is better drizzled with chocolate, but that's why I'm not posting recipes for Weight Watchers, so don't listen to anything I just said. Despite the learning curve. I'd make these again, mostly b/c I like anything that requires a gadget like a melon baller, but also b/c I think there is potential for 'wow' factors at a party....and I like it when people say, 'Wow'....as long as it's not in that condescending way with the side ways look that indicates if this whole 'regular' life doesn't work out there might be a traveling fair I can join.
P.s. The day after I tried this recipe I saw almost the exact same recipe on Not Just Paper and Glue. She used 1/4 c. powdered sugar, and I think I'm going to try that out next time!! She also used a different 'stuffing' technique! I love seeing similar recipes done with each person's personal flair!

9 comments

Sassy Sites! said...

I featured you over at my blog Sassy Sites! Come on by and check it out... and become a follower! :)

Tanja said...

What a great idea!

Lori said...

Wow how yummy are those.

Erin said...

Oh my. These look amazing. You did such a beautiful job! They would be perfect for a pot luck. Everyone would be so impressed!

www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

Peggy said...

Oh, YUMM! Wish I would have seen this a couple weeks ago when my fridge was filled (literally filled. Like, had to remove the hubby's beer to make room.) with fresh, hand-picked (by me & my kiddos!) strawberries! Maybe next year!

HaleyLeann said...

These are SO CUTE!!!! Not to mention the fact that they look pretty tasty. Thanks for commenting on my pretzels. =) Let me know how it goes!

Unknown said...

those look amazing!!

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

These look amazing!

Teena said...

these look yummy!!!