Felt Farm Food

Saturday, July 31, 2010

After my last post about the Farmer's Market, this project was ready to be shared. This is part of a larger project I'm working on....or rather, I plan on working on at some point in the near future, and by saying this is part of that project I'm hoping it will make me force myself to finish that project since I don't like dangling/incomplete projects, though my life is filled with ideas in the oven. On another note, I'm totally fine with dangling participles. This has nothing to do with the other, but....it seemed like a good time to mention it.
Anyway, I love making felt food. I've made quite a bit of felt food in the past. No calories, this is a good thing. I went back and tagged some of those projects, and I've now added a 'felt food' label to those post. I guess it's that girl in me that would have spent my whole time in the play kitchen in pre-k....except I didn't attend a Pre-K program, so I have a lot of playtime to make up for in my adulthood.
OK...enough on that other mumbo jumbo...on to the specifics....
I have a friend with little boys, one of which really likes barns and farms. I decided to make some felt farm food to go with that large project I'm working on for the family....I'll get to rest of the project...right after I post this....and watch some day time TV....and surf the net....and paint my dog's toenails...and....
Anyway.
I bought felt in the colors I needed. I did a sewing assembly line of stitches that would match the food's dents/bumps/features/characteristics...whatever.
Here is my 'corn features' sewing assembly line:


I sewed two sides, and the tip of the vegetable inside out. I turned it rightside out, stuffed the vegetable with scraps of felt, and cloth, and then cut out the shape of the 'green leafy part.'

I squished it into whatever shape I wanted it to be in, and then placed it in the (still) open end of the vegetable.

I just sewed a line across.

I know there is a whole process to hand stitching and pulling these so the tops are more rounded,and authentic, but I just didn't think the 6 and under-year-old kiddos cared about that extra step.l..incidentally, neither did the 31 year old making these felt foods.
The Carrots

The Corn


The Eggs (I've seen things like this around on the net with a cool little blanket stitch around the yolk.  I didn't do this....I just used my machine....I didn't want to show off, oh, and I have no idea how to make a blanket stitch.)
I made little egg yolks...

They fit inside the plastic eggs I saved from Easter...

And I slipped the yolk filled eggs inside the cartons...

Here's the problem with a farm project....I could go on...and on...and on. I wanted to make pails of milk, but I imagined the milk drops all over the house...and my friend never speaking to me again...b/c she's too busy collecting parts.
...or all the felt farm animals I could make.
...oh no, this can't be good.
Someone please call me in thirty minutes and make sure I'm not ordering chicken feathers off Amazon or something.
Forget felt. I want a real farm.
Do they sell chickens on Amazon?
...let me go check...I'll post the rest of this in a few weeks....assuming my new chickens don't chew through my power cord.
Linking To:
Under the Table and Dreaming
C.R.A.F.T
Sew Can Do
Topsy Turvy
Trendy Treehouse
Featured On:
http://www.bystephanielynn.com/p/featured-on.html
mmm button

10 comments

Lori said...

I'll send you a link later for a felt extravaganza for cookies and donuts. A little lovlieness blog. These veggies look great though. Love the eggs, too cute.

Lori said...

Here you go, http://alittleloveliness.blogspot.com/2010/07/heartfelt-gift.html

elizabeth @ twelvecrafts said...

Totally cute! Working on a similar project too, and I LOVE that you didn't take the time to make the tops rounded. You are right - kids don't really care. :)

Sarah said...

Too cute!! They look so ghreat - I am very impressed!!

Ella said...

oh my goodness, christy!! this is too cute!! love, love, love it!!!!

Ashlee Marie said...

LOVE these! I'd love it if you'd stop by my Topsy Turvy Tuesday Link party and add these felt foods! SO cute!

janimal said...

I love felt food! These look great. I am SO going to "borrow" your technique for the lines on corn on the cob. Thanks!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Hi Christy, these are so adorable! Great tutorial. I have featured this today. Thanks so much for joining The Sunday Showcase Party. I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Unknown said...

so cute :) thank you for linking up...I am going to feature you next Monday!

Katie said...

I love felt food! Yours comes out a lot cuter than mine though☺