Farmer's Market

Friday, July 30, 2010

One thing I love about summer are the fresh fruits and vegetables. I guess I should just say....I feel less guilty in the summer paying less for fresher vegetables that too often (still) go to waste. I blame it on being single, and being forced to buy too much of each vegetable/fruit in the prepackaged containers. Really, it's eating too many carbs and not making enough room for vegetables. I still like to pretend I'm going to eat really healthy...and that dream usually takes me downtown to the farmer's market.

There are actually little stands all along the highways during the spring and summer months, and there are farmer's market, and gourmet grocery stores all over the suburb in which I pay my house taxes, but I like the Dallas Farmer's Market b/c it's big....4 huge sheds full of fruits, vegetables, and other goodies.

I like to stick to shed one when purchasing b/c they are the farmers within the closest radius, and that's sort of the point-the closer, the fresher....I hope.

You can get full just walking around and sampling all the fruits and vegetables at each stand.

And they also have some pretty neat little cafes with some really great looking food....I've tried out few of these meats, tamales, and meals, but I did go to this vendor selling roasted corn.

The regular toppings for the corn is a large slathering of butter, and parmesan cheese....and then every salt/seasoning option in the grocery story....

How many calories can I pack into an ear of corn? I'll leave that for another blog entry someday....
If it helps, among other things, I bought these...

....and other healthy 'stuff.'
....but, I have to be true to myself, and so I also bought these....

....and I made blueberry muffins...
....ooops.
I think I've established I have a carb problem, but I'd still like to count this as one serving of fruits.

2 comments

Sarah said...

I love the farmer's market but I do have to also admit that too much of the food I buy goes to waste. I would like to blame it on the fact that the food goes bad much sooner than supermarket food. But, I still go because the food tastes soo much better!

Donna said...

What wonderful looking produce! We just bought a bunch of zucchini and yellow summer squash, as well as a bunch of tomatoes, at a roadside stand. I plan on baking some yummy zucchini bread tomorrow! Thanks so much for visiting, and for your nice comments :)