Fearing's at the Ritz

Saturday, July 24, 2010

My birthday fell on a Sunday this year, last Sunday to be exact. I recently read an article in Bon Appetite about the 'best fried chicken' anywhere, and Dean Fearing's fried chicken at Fearing's in the Ritz-Carlton in Dallas made the list.

It's his Mama's bagged and battered recipe.
He only serves it during his Sunday brunch. I like fried chicken, this like is actually a requirement before you are given your Texas license. I can't say I pursue the 'best' fried chicken, but I'm always interested in the 'best of.'

I also thought it would be a fun way to spend a little slice of my birthday. Brunch at the Ritz fit the list of things I'd like to do to celebrate the start to another year.
The hotel is uptown, and I kinda expected it to be a little bit uncomfortably pretentious. The orange color scheme of the restaurant was stunning, and elegant,

but it was also fun, and intimate, and the staff was nice, attentive, but comfortable, approachable, and professional. I love this place.
I also have to say, I'm often a little underwhelmed by things that are supposed to impress, but every dish from start to finish

was AMAZING, and not so unreasonable I can't do it again without too much guilt. The food was obviously superior. My verdict is, it's worth it, and a must try once. As for what to eat, I can't imagine anything could be anything less than fabulous!

3 comments

Shane and Laine said...

Happy Birthday!! If I would have known, I would have dropped Edward over for a visit:)

Katie said...

I always feel weird going to super fancy places like I shouldn't be there and that food will include too many weird ingredients I can't pronounce. I love that you had fried chicken! Sounds divine and if I ever make it out that way again I'll be sure to put it on the to do list. Cause I love me some good fried chicken and I'm not even from Texas.

Katie said...

Whoops, and happy belated birthday!